If you have no idea on how to write a good student council speech, do not hesitate to read the following guide as it will provide you with numerous secrets and tips of the council speech writing.
Follow the Given Steps Impress the Most Demanding Audience
Start with a good introduction. If you want to make an impression on your audience, you need to start with an attention-grabbing opening statement. Some people call it a hook that engages the reader and makes him/her follow the speaker`s arguments. In order to impress your audience, you need to make the first statement strong and thought-provoking. Most likely, your speech is one of the numerous speeches presented, so you need to work hard to make it truly unforgettable. Do not start with the mere introduction of yourself. The phrase “Hi, my name is…” will not bring you the desired outcome. Most probably, your classmates know you already, so this phrase does not provide them with any new information. You will have the time to introduce yourself later, but we assure you that the first sentence of your speech has a totally different purpose.
A good option to start your speech is to begin with a thought-provoking question like “If you had an opportunity to change something in the school management, what would it be?” An appropriate joke is also a good choice: “I know what all of you are thinking about. What am I doing here and why I am listening to this guy?” What is more, the direct quotes about power, leadership, and guidance are good choices for opening your speech. However, when quoting someone, make sure to mention the authorship. If you are stuck on this stage and do not know how to write a good student council speech, we recommend you to read the good examples of speeches that can be found online. Using the speech samples for inspiration, you significantly improve your chances of getting a positive grade. There are many speeches of the talented activists, politicians, and other world leaders available online. When reading their speeches, pay attention to the details that make their speeches unforgettable. Each of these sample student council speeches for elementary contains the specific techniques knowing of which can help you create a true masterpiece.
State the basic information. Once you manage to catch the audience`s attention, you need to introduce yourself to the audience and state your goals. In order to follow your thoughts and ideas, the audience needs to know your background. As such, talk briefly about the significance of your decision. As for the basic information that should be provided in your speech, we recommend you to include the following:
- State your name and grade in your school. Even if you consider it a formality, it is a necessary aspect of any council speech. If you miss this information, your speech may simply be lost among other speeches;
- State your position. Do you want to become a president? Tell about it. Even if you believe that all students know what position you want to obtain, it will not be wrong to remind about it.
- List your skills and qualifications that may be useful in your new position. We assure you that knowing that you are very good in management and other areas, the students will vote for you. Keep in mind that when mentioning your accomplishments, you need to pick up the ones that are the most relevant for the needed position. As such, if you are going to obtain a position of the secretary, feel free to mention the experience when you helped at your aunt`s firm. If you are going to be a president, you need to claim that you possess excellent leadership skills, which makes your candidacy better than others.
- Although this section is a vitally important part of your speech, try to keep it brief since it is necessary to find a balance between a good introduction and sounding too selfish. We assure you that a couple of sentences that point out to your key qualifications will be enough to persuade your reader that you are a good applicant for the desired position.
Write the main body. In your main body, you need to focus your attention on the ways of the school improvement and your role in this process. It will give some guarantees to your voters making them favor your candidacy.
- Be sure to list your ideas about the school improvement starting from the major ones. Indeed, it may take some time to understand what should be changed. You may ask your classmates, other students, and even teachers, and based on the survey findings create a picture of what can be improved in a school.
- When writing the main body of your speech, you need to consider an important aspect: you should not give the promises you cannot keep. Do not try to persuade your readers by promising the things that cannot be fulfilled. We assure you that the failure to meet the expectations of your voters will significantly undermine your reputation. In order to get the necessary amount of votes, you need to focus your attention on the topics that are truly important to your peers such as the academic standards, bullying, and extracurricular activities. It means that your program should be truly multifaceted since only by receiving the support of different groups you will be able to achieve the desired outcome. Each of your statements should demonstrate your firm position. For instance, you may say, “The increased number of bullying cases proves that this issue should be addressed immediately and, as a President, I am going to pay the utmost attention to it.”
Do not forget to support your ides with reasonable evidence. Of course, those students, who fill out their speeches with the meaningless slogans and empty promises will not be able to reach success. Therefore, all the ideas mentioned in your speech should have clear evidence. Noteworthy, in order to reach your goals, you need to conduct a good research on the prewriting stage. Undoubtedly, your speech is not your election program, so you should not give a detailed description of all the steps you are going to make. However, feel free to dedicate several sentences to explaining your purposes. In order to write a good speech, you need to keep your ideas short but strongly worded. Do not include the irrelevant details that can compromise the speech`s quality. We assure you that if your audience gets bored, you will never reach the desired result.
Finalize your speech with a good conclusion. If you know how to write student council speech, then you are probably aware that your conclusion is a particularly important its part. Even if your speech has some gaps in its body, your conclusion should be truly great since this part makes the final impression on your audience. As such, in your conclusion, do not hesitate to restate the ideas mentioned in your speech, as well as point out to their relevance. We assure you that emphasizing on your strengths and omitting your weaknesses will help you persuade your audience. All in all, these people need to know what changes you are going to introduce and what means you are going to use to implement these changes.
When asking your voters about their support, show your respect and gratitude. For instance, instead of saying, “I am waiting for you to give your votes for my candidacy next Saturday” say “I would be honored to receive your votes for me next Saturday."
Revise your speech properly. When your speech is ready, ask some of your friends to read it and point out to your mistakes. Ask this person for an objective feedback as it will help you make the necessary amendments and get a positive outcome. Make sure all your thoughts are organized in the logical flow and are connected to each other. In order to reach your goal, your speech should be clear, concise, and appealing.
In conclusion, we hope that now you know how to write a good student council speech. First and foremost, be honest with your audience as it is quite easy to recognize empty promises. Do not try to make yourself better than you are, but at the same time, try to focus on your strengths that can help your voters benefit from their decision to support you.